[Rule-list] PC #12 insmod anyone?

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 19 06:07:31 EET 2002

> modules. They seem to load properly and work. I included the
> sbpcd.o module. You should be able to boot, and run 'modprobe sbpcd'
> then continue with the install. You may need to boot with 'linux nodma'
> if this is an older system. I have one drive in my test box that doesn't

> like the kernel using dma.
>
> Good luck, please let me know how you make out.
>
> http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky/slinky.modular-v0.1.5.img
>
> I'll get it posted to the RULE site shortly as well.
>
> > I think miniconda is still far too resource hungry to let the install
> > carry through....especially with the likes of the 486...pentium 150+
> > would be allright....dunno just my thoughts...
>
> Did you try selecting just the lowmem install class, rather than custom?
> Also, if you don't select additional packages, you probably have a
better
> chance of success.
>
> - -D

Wahoooo...that's not good news that's GREAT news....I just hope it hits
the right io ports; cause everytime I tried with miniconda it failed to
load until I specified the ol' 0x230,1.   Which is odd in itself cause dos
sez the sound card is on 220, and config.sys sez cd is 330...go figger...

And I did try copying insmod and sbpcd.o to a floppy and tried loading;
errored out cause slinky didn't like my version of insmod, and modprobe
failed cause it had no insmod....chicken and the egg thing...;-)

And you betcha...I tried the lomem class...but probably tried to give it
too big a software load and flooded it!!!

Reason I like slinky so much, is the fact that the box remains quite
responsive while cd'ing and tabbing around the filesystem.  With miniconda
using vt2 it just doesn't feel the same, the box has a load somewhere, and
really slows it down..

Gonna get that puppy down and give it a twist right promptly...thanx.....G