[Rule-list] can't network install on 486

Luie delos Santos luie at linuxmail.org
Tue Mar 19 08:08:59 EET 2002

> > > "Failed to insert 3c503 module.". Same error appears when I use
> > > HP10/100VG & Intel 8/16 (using eexpress & ne) LAN Adapters. I tried
> > > this on another 486 machine, using the same NICs, w/ the same results.
> > >
> > > What else do I need to try?
> >
> > We are well outside the realm of my experience here, sorry.
> > You're sure the driver disk is good? That would be my first guess.
> >
> > - -D
> Hi Luie...had exactly the same thing happening with my sbpcd module; had
> to supply the proper IO parameters.   I think that's what's happening to
> your 3c503 (had to do that with another distro w/3c509), seems miniconda
> can't probe the 486 buses properly...last effort it couldn't find my
> mouse, or vid card....

I believe the problem is in the *drvnet.img* because A) I tested the same EISA NICs on a Celeron machine and it produced the same error.
B) I also tested a PCI NIC (3c900) on the Celeron with the ff results:
1) when I use only the bootnet.img disk (w/c has support for 3c900) -- **no problem**
2) when I select the driver from drvnet.img (using the same 3c900 driver) -- *error* "Failed to insert..."

luie