Fwd: Re: [Rule-list] preparing richard's laptop

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu Mar 21 00:25:00 EET 2002

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Re: [Rule-list] preparing richard's laptop
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:55:55 -0500
From: Devon <devon at tuxfan.homeip.net>
To: rule-list at mail.freesoftware.fsf.org

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 09:39 am, Richard Kweskin wrote:
> Found this out by...
> 1 At the prompt for a driver's disk, I reply yes and insert
> drvblock.img disk. It has a quick read and goes right to what lang
> should install use. Alt-F4 reports:
>
> "FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
>  VFS: can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 02:00"

Probably just the mount command output while trying to determine the file
system type of the disk. (sort of: It's not vfat, next) I'm assuming here
that you created the disk with 'dd' or the 'rawrite' utility?

> So it got nothing from drvblock disk, right?

Hard to say, it may have. You can type lsmod before and after inserting
the disk, and see in any modules were actually loaded.

> 2 Fresh reboot, this time typing linux updates (i.e. no "dd")
> But it still prompts for a driver's disk (thought the lack of dd
> precluded this?). Reply no. Never have to insert drvblock.img.

I'm not sure. It might prompt for a driver disk if it can't load a
module. I've never seen this, so I'm just guessing.

> B) Choosing uk keyboard (laptop happens to have it), seems to (a hunch)
> cause a longer (a bit) loading of minconda from updates disk, the
> install aborts, complaining "not enough memory". Leaving us keyboard
> fixes.

This happens early, so there is no swap yet, but I wouldn't have expected
the keyboard selection to use that much memory. It does read in a file
containing all the definitions though.

> C) autopartitioning messed up
>
> 1 Up to partitioning, a-ok. When choosing autopartition (no matter
> which sub option) it reports:
>
> hda1    49mb    ext3    /boot
> hda2    1055mb  ext3    /
> hda3    190mb   swap
>
> 2 This looks good, but it lies! Choosing ok at this point causes the
> lock-up while formatting.
>
> 3 Tried variations with autopartitioning, e.g. deleted all the
> partitions, making a virgin disk. Same lock-up.
>
> 4 Fdisk reveals the lie:
> Autopartitioning, choosing "back" instead of "ok", and starting fdisk
> reports same hda1 and hda3 but hda2 is type linux native and has no
> mount point.
>
> 5 The "fix":
> Edit hda2 with fdisk with / and ext3, proceed and no lock-up!
> (Obviously going straight for fdisk is best!)

That's just wierd. :)
I don't believe this has anything to do with the miniconda modifications,
though. I have allowed auto partition here, and had no difficulty. Anyone
else seen this?

Thank you Richard for your help in testing and reporting the results.

- - -D

- - --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt
Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/