[Rule-list] Suggestion for modifying XFree86 and Tiny X

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 21 05:57:59 EET 2002

>From: Gordon Buzowetsky <idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca>
<snip>
> > One thing that I would like to see removed from XFree86 and Tiny X are
>the
> > parts of the code that changes the tty.
<snip>
>Am I understanding this correctly...when you startx.......in effect you
>would be staying at tty1 instead of tty7??

I think that you might be misunderstanding me.

>If so...I think for simplicity sake...just eliminate f3 to f6...would that
>not gain you some resources, and at the same time take much of the
>'manual' out of it??  With just about the same effect??
<snip>

I do eliminate some of the unused tty's, and I want it to be manual. I'll
try and give a more specific example. Regular command line interfaces will
run on f1, f2, and f3. When I type startx [or whatever] because I feel like
surfing the Internet, XFree86 starts up on f4, right? Well, let's say that
I'm doing something on f1, but I am not finished yet. I'll type startx [or
whatever], but the "focus" will still remain on f1. I'm finished my work.
Now I switch to f4. XFree86 is all ready to go. I finish surfing the
Internet, but want to listen to some Real Audio music. So I play it, and
switch back to f1 to do some other task. XFree86 is still running on f4 and
f1 is still running the command line interface. During this entire time, f2
& f3 were busy running whatever programs.

If I still don't make sense, I could try to rephrase again.

> > Another modification would be to remove the automatic displaying of that
>
> > weaved background. I feel that it would be better for the users to call
> > program in their scripts to add a background. Does this make sense?
> >

>This wouldn't hurt my feelings at all....but another thought would be
>instead of; startx...why not xinit??  Then call whatever windowmanager you
>want???

I thought that the function to bring up that weave was hard coded. I thought
that the function looks for a weave bitmap image. I could be wrong. In fact,
I thought xinit also automatically brings up the bitmap. Hmm, I've been
using 3.3.6. If they changed the way things worked since my version, I'll
have to upgrade.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the fact that someone read it. :-)