[Rule-list] Suggestion for modifying XFree86 and Tiny X

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 21 06:11:52 EET 2002

>From: Bill Crawford <rule at billemon.org.uk>

<snip>
>  That's a very tiny part of the code; and since the X server has to
>talk directly to the graphics hardware anyway, it has to take control
>of it at some point.
<snip>
>We used to start two X servers, one from each
>of two console logins, and switch between them ... that took ten or
>twenty seconds to swap the background image back in after a bit of
>work on the previous desktop.  Still quicker than starting straight
>from the console every time ...
<snip>
<snip>
>you probably won't be able to do much on the console until the server
>and window manager are finished starting up anyway :o)
<snip>
>  That background takes very little code to create, and is not stored
>as a graphic as such; it takes very little by way of resources;
<snip>
>If it doesn't set *something* as background then
>you either get random garbage or whatever was left from the previous
>X session garbled by use of the display memory by the console.
<snip>
<snip>
>  That's not such a bad idea, but the truth is that once you minimise
>a window, most applications will do absolutely nothing until you open
>the window again.
>
>..."killall -QUIT netscape"..."kill -STOP"
<snip>

Thanks for replying and explaining the above information. Everything that is
above, perfectly deals with my concerns. It all says to me, that yes,
XFree86 is still efficient. I really appreciate it. Also, thank you for the
"killall" and "kill" info. I never knew that before.

As disappointed as I am to see that my ideas won't come into fruition, I am
glad to realize that you saved everybody a lot of time! :-)