[Rule-list] Another window manager suggestion

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu Mar 21 06:58:01 EET 2002

Eugene,

thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know this app, and will contact
the developer to suggest cooperation with RULE, if he doens't already
know it. In the meantime, it would be great if you coud test heliwm
thoroughly and report here, until we do put online that database I
mention in another message.

In general, we do prefer application which are:

	actively maintained
	with an RPM package
	useable without the mouse
	(also) configurable via rc files, because many of our users
	may know zero programming, and/or not have enough disk space
	to install a compiler.

When it comes to *how* many (window managers, email clients,
browsers,...) we will include in RULE, the policy should be:

1) For each category we do not consider more applications than either
the maintainer or some project member commits to actively maintain and
package for RULE (unless the RPM already exists and is
included/maintained in
standard RH, of course)

2) The total size of new (=not already part of RH) packages should be
   kept small enough that:
	a) RH can fit them in their standard disks, so RULE does
	   become another install option of it
	b) we can also prepare our inofficial ISO, which should be
	   much less than one full CD, to make life easier for users
	   without browadband

  Of course, we will realize what all my babble above actually means
  only when we start to list RPM, run tests on all candidate apps, and
  so on, and when we will have that app database I previously
  mentioned.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 18:45:06 at 06:45:06PM -0800, Eugene Wong wrote:

> Perhaps you may also be interested in heliwm. The web site is
> http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hok/heliwm/

		RULE project leader
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty
meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
              - Robert A. Heinlein -