[Rule-list] Font server, and tips to reduce RAM needs

Bill Crawford rule at billemon.org.uk
Thu Mar 21 08:16:52 EET 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Gordon Buzowetsky wrote:

> Slack has the extra fonts available for initial install; but you can
> choose to leave them out.  They run with the xfnts.tgz...(I think)...seems
> that's just a basic set to get started...but adequate.

 Memory usage (which is what I was worrying about) is more dependent
on the actual number of fonts (including different sizes as well as
faces) than on what's installed, although obviously if there aren't
many on the disk you'll not be using such a variety ...

> If you just wanted a basic X up and running you just left all the rest
> out.  Not sure how small you can get Slack8 but I know for a fact that 7.1
> would give you a running install with minimal X at about 110megs.

 That's a strong argument for cutting down, though.  I was suggesting
just now that a small range of TrueType fonts would possibly make for
good performance and give a better appearance as a bonus.

 I'd be interested in a straw poll of what people are actually using.
Providing a fairly limited choice would be OK as long as there are a
good monospace font, a couple of alternatives for serif and sans, and
a couple of script/cursive faces.  There needs to be some choice as
what's readable is quite a personal thing (my favourite font face is
actually "Comic Sans MS" despite its origins; it's extremely readable
for me both in print and on screen, and I've always liked fonts with
that sort of style).

> Dunno how helpful this would be...but just one for the book of maybe
> useless facts....;-))

 Not useless at all ... the lesson after all is in how to build small
footprint systems, and Slackware has historically been an excellent
choice for compactness.  I use RH for features, not compactness :o)