[Rule-list] Font server, and tips to reduce RAM needs

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Mar 22 00:30:54 EET 2002

Bill Crawford wrote:

>  I'd be interested in a straw poll of what people are actually using.
> Providing a fairly limited choice would be OK as long as there are a
> good monospace font, a couple of alternatives for serif and sans, and
> a couple of script/cursive faces.  There needs to be some choice as
> what's readable is quite a personal thing (my favourite font face is
> actually "Comic Sans MS" despite its origins; it's extremely readable
> for me both in print and on screen, and I've always liked fonts with
> that sort of style).

I'm only using two fonts (as long as I'm not forced to use others):
Courier New for monospace and Bell MT as serif (I hate sans-serif, but
that's a matter of taste. Comic Sans MS is way down on my list, even
among the sans-serif fonts...). Bell MT was with the Microsoft
Publisher, it has letters that are just a *little* special. Example: The
"k" has a slight "~"-like bow in the "\" part of the letter. Only the
numbers are too toyish, anyone knowing a good TTF font editor which
wouldn't cost a fortune? For Windows or Linux.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/