[Rule-list] Again on RULE app database

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Mar 22 09:57:56 EET 2002

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Martin and Larry for offering to host and implement the
> database
>
> Personally, I know Perl better than PHP, but either one is fine, so
> I'm inclined to gladly accept Larry's contribution, on the basis that
> both hosting and his programming time are available earlier, if I
> understood correctly.

I'm happy about Larry's contribution, too, since it takes the time
pressure off me... ;-)) Thanks, Larry!

> It would also be very nice to know the relative impact of each
> package, i.e. "combination so and so takes 50 megs too much: I can
> trim it down, according to the database, either by removing these ten
> self contained, totally independent apps, or only BIG_APP, because
> then would remain 60 megs of libraries and such not needed by anybody
> else"

I propose these fields in the database answer per package:
disk space of package
disk space of package plus all dependencies
disk space saved if only this one package is unselected
used RAM if only this package runs, no files opened (maybe several
figures since many packages contain more than one application)
some other fields...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/