[Rule-list] PC #12 insmod anyone?---SUCCESS

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat Mar 23 03:52:03 EET 2002

On Friday 22 March 2002 02:52 pm, Gordon Buzowetsky wrote:

> Hi...you know that part about being positve it's gonna work....
> Guess I spoke a little too soon...;-(
>
> Module loads fine from the floppy---that must've been 'gordo error'.  I
> may have gone into the directory on the floppy instead of from the
> outside at /.
> Anyway both versions work...1.6 and 1.6a.

OK, good to know. I can revert to the busybox version of the modutils.
That saves a little space.

> Then I tried mounting as hdc...stead of sbpcd...no go.  Tried linking
> hdc and sbpcd...sez file already exists...what gives???

OK, this I can fix. I think. :)
The problem is that the device file /dev/hdc already exists, and thus a
link can't be created. But, you probably don't want to do that anyway.
You probably want to do something like:
'ln -s /dev/sbpcd0 /dev/cdrom'

> Now the real bad news...installer stalls at 'mke2fs' goes for 15 to
> 20min...then errors out...failed to make filesystem...hmmmmmmmmm

The script is confused, it's simplistic, and only understands the 4
'normal' disk devices. I'll look into it. In the meantime, could you help
out, and provide the output of:
(this would be after you boot and have the module loaded)
cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info | grep "drive name"

> As usual input is welcome....guess we need a new thread now (wore this
> one out!!)...;-)

I'm adding some logging for the next version. If you try again, could you
copy the file /scripts/variables to a floppy before shutting down from
the failed install? There isn't much info logged at present, but it might
be enough to be useful. After the script begins prompting about packages
to install, the file is located in /root/scripts/variables.
Currently it logs the names of the cdrom device, the / device, and the
boot device, as well as some other exported variables.

Thanks again,

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt