[Rule-list] PC #12 insmod anyone?---SUCCESS(sort of)

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat Mar 23 16:31:01 EET 2002

On Saturday 23 March 2002 12:52 am, Gordon Buzowetsky wrote:
> > link can't be created. But, you probably don't want to do that
> > anyway. You probably want to do something like:
> > 'ln -s /dev/sbpcd0 /dev/cdrom'
>
> Yup did that and works......cd'd to /dev and did ls -alF....link shows
> up...never tried mounting there...guess I should have whilst I was
> there. Will try again in  the AM...and advise of trouble...

OK, new images available that handle the oddball device. Previously, only
hd{a,b,c,d} were understood as valid devices for the cdrom.
I've added the ability to select 'cdrom' as the cdrom device. In your
case, I'm assuming that the script didn't locate the cdrom, and you had
to select a device?
You should, after creating the link in dev, be able to use the cdrom
entry.

You'll need to:
mknod the sbpcd0 device.
ln -s /dev/sbpcd0 /dev/sbpcd (may not be needed, but please try)
ln -s /dev/sbpcd0 /dev/cdrom
insert the module.
Run the setup script.

> > out, and provide the output of:
> > (this would be after you boot and have the module loaded)
> > cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info | grep "drive name"
>
> Drive name:  sbpcd

OK, good. Please try it again and see if it still works after doing the
above.

> CDROM_DEV=/dev/hdc

I'm hoping you set this manually. If the auto probe came up with that
value, somethings wrong.

> INSTALL_DEV=/dev/hdb
> partition_tool=cfdisk
> SWAP_DEV=/dev/hdb1

All fine.

> ROOT_DEV=/dev/

That's not good, and I've added error checking to catch this.
No wonder making the file system fails, there is no device defined.
Are you selecting only one partition? (no /boot)
Did you just hit enter without inputting the name of the root device when
prompted?
Hopefully, the new script will catch this.

http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.1.7/

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt