[Rule-list] can't network install on 486

Luie delos Santos luie at linuxmail.org
Tue Mar 26 04:55:30 EET 2002

> > > "Failed to insert 3c503 module.". Same error appears when I use
> > > HP10/100VG & Intel 8/16 (using eexpress & ne) LAN Adapters. I tried
> > > this on another 486 machine, using the same NICs, w/ the same results.
> > >
> > > What else do I need to try?
> >
> > We are well outside the realm of my experience here, sorry.
> > You're sure the driver disk is good? That would be my first guess.
> >
> > - -D
> Hi Luie...had exactly the same thing happening with my sbpcd module; had
> to supply the proper IO parameters.   I think that's what's happening to
> your 3c503 (had to do that with another distro w/3c509), seems miniconda
> can't probe the 486 buses properly...last effort it couldn't find my
> mouse, or vid card....
>
> Luck...G

the problem with the "failed to insert 3c503 module"  has been solved ---**stubborn user** caused the problem
(case of doing too many things at the same time - I'm doing the tests at the office since I don't have a test machine to use at home).
Is this a good enough excuse?

I am now able to load the NIC driver.
BUT...

I'm stuck at "Running anaconda - please wait...".

Last line in vt3 says "looking for USB mouse".
I definitely don't have a USB mouse in my 486 machine.

Last two lines in vt4 says
“<4>Unable to identify CD_ROM format.”
“<4>VFS: Can’t find ext2 filesystem on dev loop(7,0).”

After 30mins.
vt1 displays “Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:02”

Do I need to manually create ext2fs using vt2?
What do I need to do?
Please help.

TIA,
luie