[Rule-list] Miniconda, slinky, and other OSes

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 26 06:21:28 EET 2002

> Slinky asks before running Lilo, gives the option to opt out, and doesn't
> even attempt to detect another OS.
> However, it does offer to create a boot disk.
> I could also easily add an option to write lilo to a floppy.
>
> Progress report:
> Slinky (my test version) is now capable of doing (local network - dialup
> isn't available) http and ftp installs. The user has to get the network
> up and configured before running the script, but the tools are available,
> and it isn't overly difficult. On my machine, it consists of saying:
> insmod /mnt/floppy/modules/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.7
>
> - -D

Hi all...

Hey that insmod line looks familiar from somewhere....lol

The writing a lilo to a floppy would be great....;-)

  But would that enable use of the slinky kernel and modules in the
subsequent install?

  Reason I'm asking is cause, I managed to get my install up and running
with #12 (486)..but I didn't install lilo.

  I've subsequently done the lilo install (chrooted in and ran lilo...to
/dev/fd0)...but it's using the kernel from the disk and not your slinky
one.

  Been fighting with that thing (and losing) for the last day....can't
load the sbpcd.o module from within the install.
I'm getting the strangest errors I've ever seen....much like Luie
above...but probably even worse....and yet from slinky the module loads
fine....that's how come I wasn't blowing my horn about the install.

 Cause I can't really do anything with it without the cd....;-(

Later...G