[Rule-list] can't network install on 486

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Tue Mar 26 06:14:58 EET 2002

On Monday 25 March 2002 09:55 pm, Luie delos Santos wrote:

> the problem with the "failed to insert 3c503 module"  has been solved
> ---**stubborn user** caused the problem (case of doing too many things
> at the same time - I'm doing the tests at the office since I don't have
> a test machine to use at home). Is this a good enough excuse?

I've never tried this, so please feel free to share the cause of the
problem. :) It might help others as well. But, yes, that's as good an
excuse as any.

> I am now able to load the NIC driver.
> BUT...
>
> I'm stuck at "Running anaconda - please wait...".

If I remember correctly, this machine has 16M of RAM?

> Last line in vt3 says "looking for USB mouse".
> I definitely don't have a USB mouse in my 486 machine.

No, but anaconda probes for one by default. I've been looking at ways to
trim down what miniconda does to reduce the overhead. Thinks like auto
see many of the older machines we are looking at needing raid support.

> Last two lines in vt4 says
> “<4>Unable to identify CD_ROM format.”
> “<4>VFS: Can’t find ext2 filesystem on dev loop(7,0).”

Both normal, if I remember correctly. I'd have to run another install to
verify that.

> After 30mins.
> vt1 displays “Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:02”

This is a new one on me. You are trying to mount a filesystem exported
from another machine onto the target machines filesystem? (I've never
done a network install, humor me. :) This occurs before you get to
partition and turn on swap, I imagine?
It's possible that the machine is simply out of memory. On a cdrom or a
local hard drive install, 16M is slow, but not unbearably so. Once swap
is activated, it does get a little more responsive. This is on on a P-200
box. A 486 will be somewhat slower, of course.

> Do I need to manually create ext2fs using vt2?
> What do I need to do?

If you can set up a local http of ftp server, you might be able to
install that way using 'slinky' in another day or two. I've had
successful cdrom and hard drive installs at 6M without difficulty. I'm
still fooling with http and ftp support, so I haven't tested them in
under 32M just yet.

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt