[Rule-list] can't network install on 486

Luie delos Santos luie at linuxmail.org
Tue Mar 26 08:01:59 EET 2002

> On Monday 25 March 2002 09:55 pm, Luie delos Santos wrote:
>
> > the problem with the "failed to insert 3c503 module"  has been solved
> > ---**stubborn user** caused the problem

> I've never tried this, so please feel free to share the cause of the
> problem. :) It might help others as well.

stubborn me.
1) my refusal to believe that my floppies are bad (they're only a few days old).
2) using drvnet.img from rh7.2 CDs

> > I am now able to load the NIC driver.
> > BUT...
> >
> > I'm stuck at "Running anaconda - please wait...".
>
> If I remember correctly, this machine has 16M of RAM?

  yes.

> > After 30mins.
> > vt1 displays “Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:02”
>
> This is a new one on me. You are trying to mount a filesystem exported
> from another machine onto the target machines filesystem? (I've never
> done a network install, humor me. :) This occurs before you get to
> partition and turn on swap, I imagine?
> It's possible that the machine is simply out of memory. On a cdrom or a
> local hard drive install, 16M is slow, but not unbearably so. Once swap
> is activated, it does get a little more responsive. This is on on a P-200
> box. A 486 will be somewhat slower, of course.

I tried installing again.
It's been 2hours now and still vt1 displays "Runnunig anaconda - please wait...".
But the Kernel panic error maessage has not yet appeared.

> > Do I need to manually create ext2fs using vt2?
> > What do I need to do?
>
> If you can set up a local http of ftp server, you might be able to
> install that way using 'slinky' in another day or two. I've had
> successful cdrom and hard drive installs at 6M without difficulty. I'm
> still fooling with http and ftp support, so I haven't tested them in
> under 32M just yet.

looking forward to try slinky .
does this mean we're going to abandon miniconda network install?

BTW, I'll be out for the rest of the week (no work in observance of the holy week). I'm in the Philippines so don't be surprised with long vacations. But I'll be testing another PC (owned by my brother in the Province, where I'll be spending the week).
I'll do a CDROM install, should I use slinky or miniconda?