[Rule-list] Partitioning not always straight forward

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Mar 27 02:56:17 EET 2002

*finally* back online after moving - and skimming through 1500
e-Mails... @-))

Gordon Buzowetsky wrote:

> > Hello All
> >
> > Using druid or fdisk with weird results:
> >
> > > mount point, saw "mount point:(not applicable)" but with ext3
> > snip
> > > again chose first free space, chose new, etc. as before but came
> > > out with same free space in what was hda1 and a new hda6, with 5
> > > & 6 each half of hda3
> >
> > Another time an attempt to delete hda2 swap partition resulted in
> > hda2 remaining while free space shows up elsewhere.
> >
> > Both times with miniconda 0.7.1 with early swap hack to hda2.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> Hi All...
>
> Just reading back through some posts...and wanted to mention that
> Richard isn't the only one that gets some strange results using Disk
> Druid and fdisk.   I too; get to that part...enter the sizes for swap
> and / and most times the partitions will be interchanged....eg---40meg
> swap hdb1 350meg / hdb2-----after all is said and done I end up with
> 40meg swap hdb2 and 350 meg / hdb1.  No idea of what's causing that; I
> thought it was just my inexperience with the proggies...but I guess
> not.  OTOH using 'cdisk' in slinky...the partitions come out as
> originally setup....go figure.

I had similar problems. There are some bugs in the wrapper around
fdisk/DiskDruid in RHL 7.2. I don't like that wrapper altogeter, when I
say fdisk I want fdisk... If that's still the case in Skipjack I'll
bugzilla it.

Best egards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/