[Rule-list] network install for slinky

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at indahaus.com
Tue Mar 26 17:56:05 EET 2002

At 3/18/2002 09:04 AM -0600, you wrote:
>I would like to work on the network install with you. I think we have
>the image file install under control. I really don't know where to start.

Hey, Hairy Larry. Sorry to have been gone so long, but I'm away from home
and the hotel's (quote) "modern Internet Access service allows you to dial
your home country Internet server long-distance so you can connect without
changing your computer." Huh?

Anyway, as soon as I get home (Monday 1/Apr), I'll be wifeless for almost a
week and can *definitely* tinker with the box somewhat. I also have no idea
where to start, but let me take a shot at your comments over here...

>Somewhere, I guess where it mounts the CD, we want to break out
>of the script and log onto a network and then mount the image file
>over the network.
>
>Do I seem to have this much right?

AKAIK, yes.

>I am clueless on the commands used to do this. In the past I always
>just swapped cards until I got one recognised.

I don't know how to get the card recognized. Once the card is in, if I
assume that there is only one card and that card is Ethernet (hence eth0),
then:

1. Ask for the network parameters (IP, netmask, gateway, DNS).
2. ifconfig
3. resolv.conf for the DNS addresses
4. Either nfs-mount the image file, or ftp/http the RPM's

Guesses here, but start somewhere then make mistakes I say.

>I am low bandwidth so an internet install is out of the question. I can
>test on a LAN though.

Same path I'll take. I do, however, have an FTP, DHCP, DNS, and HTTP
servers available so I'm good to go.

>I am convinced we will be able to find a graphical
>browser/window manage/X server with a small enough footprint
>to give us graphical browsing on a machine like this.

Hope so. The 486/8MB I swiped for testing was successfully walking (not
running) Win95 w/Word95 and Excel95. I'd like to beat that.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at indahaus.com