[Rule-list] Miniconda, slinky, and other OSes

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Mar 27 07:58:57 EET 2002

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 09:22 pm, James wrote:

> > Progress report:
> > Slinky (my test version) is now capable of doing (local network -
> > dialup isn't available) http and ftp installs. The user has to get
> > the network up and configured before running the script, but the
> > tools are available, and it isn't overly difficult. On my machine, it
> > consists of saying: insmod
> > /mnt/floppy/modules/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o
> > ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.7
>
> DEVON RULES!!
>
>   Ok now that that's outa the way.  I should be back umoung the normal
> in a day or two.  At that time I'll immediately try this out with those
> notebooks I have.  PS where do you point a linux install for ftp
> install?  Never done it with linux only BSD.

Any server from which you can download the rpms. Any of the mirror sites
should do. You want the rpms from the initial release, not updates. (The
file names are those included on the official Red Hat disks)
What I have done for testing is created a directory on my own server, put
all the needed rpms there, and pointed the installer at that. Works like
a charm. For testing, you can run a server on your network, and point at
that. It should be much faster.

Briefly, the needed PRE-install commands should be something like:

(copy the module needed by your network device from my server, and copy
it to a floppy.)
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
insmod /mnt/floppy/module_name
ifconfig eth0 {IP address} netmask {mine is 255.255.255.0}
route add default gw {address of the network gateway}
Ping the server by IP address, to be sure you can connect.
(You could create an /etc/hosts file as well, I suppose, and use
hostnames.)
cd /scripts/
./setup.sh
Give the requested info at the prompts.

The installer, if all goes well, will handle the dirty work.

Good luck, and anyone trying this, please let me know of any difficulty.

Images will be available in a few minutes.

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt
Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/