[Rule-list] Miniconda, slinky, and other OSes

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 27 08:55:13 EET 2002

> Hi Gordon,
>
> > Devon's swiss army-knife kernel has all the stuff I need compiled into
> > it....
> >
> > If I were to change kernel alone...I have no modules....
>
> I'm still not clear on the problem. The kernel package that the installer
> loaded is the stock Red Hat kernel, and should have the needed modules
> included in /lib/modules/{version}/kernel/drivers/cdrom/
> You should be able to load the module in the same manner as you did
> during the install. If that works, an entry in /etc/modules.conf should
> automate it from that point on.

Operative words here are 'should be able to'.....there lies the
problem...I just can't.   I'm away from the test boxes right now, but
I'll pick up this thread tomorrow and post some of the error
messages...they're wild!!! Yes...the modules are there....I've tried
modprobe, insmod, depmod -ae; and just about every combination of all of
the above...including that nifty little incantation you gave me to get
the mod loaded in the first place...I have even gone right into the
directory and tried installing from there
(/lib/modules.............../cdrom), all to no avail.  When I try
two other modules....damn alzheimers....can't remember...

> > I was thinking of making a new directory structure in /lib/modules to
> > accomodate Devon's kernel....and sbpd....never got that far.
> >
> > Will re-install using miniconda...and see if same thing happens.  With
> > the miniconda kernel tho...getting sbpcd.o initialiazed was
> > easy....just as long as that carries over into the permanent
> > install...again...if miniconda kernel....and RH7.2 working kernel
> > match; I'm away....if not....I'm up the creek....again.  And boy would
> > that be a blast compiling a custom kernel on a 486.....Khours!!!!
>
> Different topic:
>
> When you install using miniconda, or anaconda for that matter, do you
> need to provide the IO args for the sbpcd module, or does it find the cd
> on it's own?

No...when I use miniconda I have to give it the io parms...sbpcd=0x230,1

And this is where this gets real weird....slinky loads sbpcd.o
fine...but with that-----insmod /mnt/floppy/modules/kernel/cdrom/sbpcd.o
sbpcd=0x230,1

It does it from the floppy...I'm gonna try moving it to the ramdisk and
try from there...but quite sure it'll work that way too.

I've even tried that and different variations of it....no joy.

Later...G