[Rule-list] New slinky images, copyright question

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Mar 29 00:38:17 EET 2002

James wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 01:57:04 +0100
> Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de> wrote and hopefully I read right:
>
> > Devon wrote:

> > > On another topic entirely, none of the scripts to date included
> > > any copyright information. Most scripts and software I've found
> > > anywhere contain this info.
> > >
> > > So, I added a copyright stanza to the top of each script, naming
> > > myself and the RULE project. Thoughts, comments, objections?
> >
> > Perfect, with one addition needed:
> >
> > > # You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
> > > # License along with this program; if not, write to the Free
> > > # Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston,
> > > MA 02111-1307, USA.
> >
> > Link to the GPL here, I think it's http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/ ,
> > but I'm not sure.
>
> Not to be a pain but may I lobby for the BSD license to be included
> as well.  Seeing as how there is a lot of code in Linux that comes
> from BSD and is under that license even though people keep slaping
> the GPL on it (incorrectly ) for example tcl/tk webmin etc.

I think the license used depends on personal taste. I prefer the GPL
above the BSD license because the GPL is "contagious", i. e. anything
derived of a GPLed software has to be under the GPL, too. Derivates of
BSD-style software can be proprietary and closed source. (That nasty
advertising clause has mostly disappeared from BSD licenses) I don't
want that to happen with my software - except I get paid for it.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/