[Rule-list] minimum rule install

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Mar 30 01:21:41 EET 2002

Eugene Wong schrieb:

> >From: Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de>
> >Eugene said:
> > >
> > > I've never used this before...just kidding!! ;^p
> >
> >You don't need to use it if you have Emacs... *ducks and runs* ;=D
>
> I don't get it, but then again I use Vim, the right editor... *also
> ducks and runs* ;^p
>
> Seriously though, I don't get the Emacs joke.

If you really know how to use emacs you can do (nearly?) *anything* in
emacs. Mail reader, web browser... it's all there. The only thing emacs
is not yet able to is booting a computer... I'm waiting for someone to
produce EmacsOS! ;=D

Emacs is my favorite editor because it's so versatile. However I'm using
vi frequently, too (and there's a vi-mode for emacs... LOL). This "Just
use emacs and you don't need anything else" is my way of joking about
these "holy wars" - everyone should use what pleases her/him most and be
open-minded for other choices, one never knows if there isn't a better
solution out there!

> <snip>
> >Busybox and uclib are what slinky (the smaller, not anaconda-based
> >installer) is made of... ;=D
>
> I must have misunderstood what this thread was about. I was thinking
> in terms of minimal install, so that they could continue with the
> other part of the install. For the last few days I've been thinking
> about the install methods of RH. I guess I found it hard to get out of
> that mode. My apologies.

No problem at all. Currently there are two different RULE installers out
there, both done by Devon:

Miniconda, now at version 0.7.3, is based on the Red Hat installer, and
we hope to get it included into Red Hat's ditro eventually. Miniconda
does work nice with at least 12 MB of RAM. There are success stories
with 8 MB, but only about one-fith of these installs succeed.

Slinky, now at version 0.1.9, is based on Busybox and uclib, a
completely independend approach. Success stories go down to 6 MB of RAM!
Slinky as a completely new development is not nearly as user-friendly as
miniconda now, you have to do many things by hand, and there is no
internationalization yet. Other work currently is more important,
user-friendliness will be added later.

Can someone please add the above paragraphs about miniconda and slinky
to the website (preferrably with some more info)?

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
--
Homepage http://www.martin-stricker.de/