[Rule-list] problem with ftp install

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat Mar 30 03:45:17 EET 2002

On Friday 29 March 2002 08:51 pm, hairylarry at deltaboogie.com wrote:
> Devon,
>
> I am using slinky 0.1.8 on PC 14 a 166 Pentium MMX with 32 meg
> ram and a 540 hd.
>
> When i try to insmod tulip.o i get
>
> insmod: kernel module version mismatch
>   tulip.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.7-10
>   while this kernel is version 2.4.9-31RULE.

Where did you get the tulip module?
There is a tulip module on disk 2 that should work fine.
/mnt/floppy/modules/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o
The drivers available on my site should all work fine as well.
You should also be able to use insmod -f [module] to ignore version
mismath problems. (You still see a mismatch warning, but the module
should load.)

> Also when I run ifconfig I get
>
> ifconfig: ifconfig was not compiled with interface status display
> support.

Right, the ifconfig in busybox doesn't display interface statistics.
It will however set up the interface. Try:
ifconfig [ip adress] netmask [netmask]
I use :
ifconfig 192.168.0.7 netmask 255.255.255.0

If you need to reach the net via a gateway, set a route:
route add default gw [gateway IP]

You should be able to do that, then be able to ping another host.
You'll find that the busybox ping is limited as well. You will get a
success or fail message, and no more.

Features are expensive in terms of size and memory requirements. Busy box
is giving us access to about 88 different commands with a 216k footprint.
I do have a little room on the disk, so I may enable more functionality
the next time I rebuild the disk images.

Hope that helps, let me know if you still have difficulty.

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt
Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/