[Rule-list] Removing unneded locales

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Tue Apr 2 18:31:08 EEST 2002

Marco Fioretti schrieb:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 14:06:37 at 02:06:37PM -0600, hairylarry wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to not install unneeded locale and keyboard
> > files? Again, I wouldn't want to do this with the standard install
> > but it may be a way to save disk space on a minimum install.

> I have noticed this also, since RH 6.0, IIRC. There *are* a lot of
> directories and files that are left around.
>
> My suggestion about this is to let the standard RPM packages put them
> there, and remove the unneeded stuff at the end of the install with
> some script (for $lang in `uninstalled languages` rm.....)

There is a little problem with your approach, Marco: If someone has a
*really* small harddisk, the install won't complete due to lack of room!
So the not needed files must be deleted *right after* packet
installation. Since we do not want to repackage the RPMs (I fully second
that!) we cannot do this in the RPM post-install script. Therefore we
need additional post-install scripts for eack package which has huge
i18n-files. I guess they have to be located on yet another floppy, and
in the install script in the RPM installation loop there has to be
something like
if -f /path/to/scripts/$packagename.sh
    /path/to/scripts/$packagename.sh
fi
so aby post-install script will be executed if present. This should also
be the best procedure for any other RULE-specific post-install scripts.

Comments, ideas, better suggestions?

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
--