[Rule-list] Slinky 0.1.7 "test"

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu Apr 4 07:13:51 EEST 2002

On Thursday 04 April 2002 06:09 am, Raymundo Baquirin wrote:
> Hi, all,
> I've been following the list and want to help with testing.  I expect
> to get the Red Hat 7.2 CDs by the month-end and will be looking for a
> 486 notebook to install on.

Welcome aboard!

[snip]
> o Got the following messages
>
>     Using hda1 hda7 as the /boot partition
>     Creating root file system
>     mke2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
>     Done.
>     Creating /boot file system
>     mke2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
>     mke2fs bad blocks count - hda7
>     Failed to create file system, exiting

As expected, believe it or not.  ;)
The installer currently expects a maximum of 3 partitions on the install
drive. One swap, /, and an optional /boot.
This is changed in the version I am working on. When ready, it should
allow you to create multiple partitions and mount points.
Anyway, the current installer sets up swap and /, then takes whatever is
left and sets it up as /boot. Of course, when there are 2 or more
partitions left, it causes a problem.

> o Decided I could do without a /boot partition (didn't expect a working
> install anyway, w/o the RH 7.2 disks) so I edited setup.sh, commenting
> out the part that sets up the /boot partition
>
> o Tried the install again, this time it went all the way
>
> o Got success messages for the RPM installs but error messages for the
> post-install scripts, plus some messages about missing packages

Probably due to various utilities getting moved between packages from 6.1
to 7.2. Also packages that exist now, and didn't when 6.1 was released.
The base scripts are ordered for a 7.2 install, so that utilities are
available as needed. I'm not even going to attempt to debug an install
from 6.1 disks right now. :) However, at some point, I would like this to
be possible.

> o Tried to boot into the installed system but couldn't

I'm guessing, but it could be many things. For one thing, /etc/fstab is
created with entries for ext3 filesystems. The kernel and file system
utilities from 6.1 would probably not know how to handle that.

> o Booted into my regular Linux, mounted /dev/hda6 and had a
> look--packages seemed to have installed all right, but obviously
> something was missing.

At least it didn't trash your existing installs. :) Hopefully, you'll be
able to test the next release of the installer with 7.2 disks, and have
more success.

I would be interested in seeing a copy of the install log if you wouldn't
mind? The 0.1.7 installer should have left a log (of sorts) in
/root/scripts/install_log.
If it's available, feel free to send it along off list.

Thanks,

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt