[Rule-list] Need for an application database

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Apr 6 02:18:32 EEST 2002

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" wrote:

> At 3/28/2002 01:56 AM +0100, Martin Stricker wrote:

> >I would prefer rule.org (if it's available, I can get it for just one
> >Euro (equals dollar)), but rule.idahaus.com is fine with me.
>
> Damn, just how do you get that kind of pricing? In any case, I'd vote
> for "please do get the name!".

http://www.puretec.de/ Sadly, they serve only to Germany (avoiding the
hassle of getting their money from foreign countries). Oh, of course
that's their per-month price, to be paid one year in advance, if you
already host your webspace or server with them.

> My thoughts on names:
>
> 1. I prefer the rule-project.org name as proposed.

I prefer rule-linux.org - we are working on Linux here, the name should
reflect that. Furthermore, this will give us better search engine
ranking.

> 3. We should have rule-project.org and proyecto-rule.org and
> projeto-rule.org and one in each language. These can then lead to the
> properly translated websites.

This increases costs and could lead to confusion if two languages have
the exact same writing for "project". I prefer country codes and
subdomains:
en.rule-linux.org, de.rule-linux.org es.rule-linux.org (the ISO language
codes, *not* the county codes)
These subdomains will lead to subdirectories with the corresponding
name. We could skip the subdomains and just put the translated stuff
into the subdirectories. The RULE star page should contain links to all
available languages (which have to fall back into the English
subdirectory if a document is not yet translated).

> 4. We should *not* confuse people by having two or more different
> domain names like linux-rule.org. Let's pick one and stick to it.

I disagree: Having more than one name will make it easier to find us! I
don't think anyone would be confused - they see only one domain!

> 5. I suggested rule.indahaus.com primarily as a starting point. That
> is, my thought was to set it up immediately using that name and change
> it to the chosen one when available. Now, however, I believe we should
> simply start immediately with the chosen name.

Agreed. Now we have to pick the name(s). Suggestions beyond
rule-linux.org and rule-project.org? I think we should get the
corresponding .com, too. Translations might want to use the fitting
country TLD, for Germany that would be rule.linux.de and
rule-projekt.de.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/