[Rule-list] use of terminal?

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sun Apr 7 20:17:20 EEST 2002

Richard Kweskin wrote:

> Would it be possible, having installed with rule, to run apps, not
> otherwise possible on a computer on its own, as a terminal on a lan
> (or other)? Thinking of schools, organisations, companies, etc. does
> this create more problems than are solved?

Of course this is possible already with RULE itself: Just log into the
server with SSH (or, if absolutely necessary, telnet/rlogin/rsh).

> I have no idea if this is of any use:
>
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

That would require X. And X already incorporates the possibility to
export a display to another machine. From a quick glance you are better
off by using the built-in X capabilities. You might consider this for
Windows, but also there you are better off with a Windows X sserver
(yes, they do exist, I prefer Hummingbird Exceed).

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/