[Rule-list] gentoo linux and nano

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Apr 10 02:09:04 EEST 2002

Devon wrote:

> On Monday 08 April 2002 02:34 pm, Martin Stricker wrote:
> > Devon wrote:
> > > I've disabled wordwrap (and enabled the help screens) in nano.
> > > It's a configure option. I left word wrap and the -w flag
> > > available for mortal users, and disabled it for 'root'. I can also
> > > disable it across the board. Thoughts anyone?
> >
> > I would prefer it disabled for all users, but mybe have it display a
> > help text when started: "Word wrap disabled. To enable, do <whatever
> > necessary>" That should help people who are used to the word wrap
> > feature.
>
> Well....
> Enabling word wrap is a compile time option. I agree, it should
> default to word wrap off, and use a flag to enable it. However, it
> doesn't work that way. In fact, it's the opposite.
> If word wrap is enabled, then it defaults to on, and the -w flag is
> needed to disable it. Short of hacking the code, or using an alias to
> call it as nano -w, I'm not sure how to solve this.

So I guess we are best off with the alias. Whoever needs nano with word
wrap has to call it like /bin/nano (or wherever it sits). Or, rename
nano to nanow and have a shell script called nano there which displays
the message "To use nano with word wrap enabled type nanow", sleeps 10
seconds and thgen runs nano -w $1 .

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi