[Rule-list] Domain Names

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at indahaus.com
Tue Apr 16 17:44:39 EEST 2002

At 4/15/2002 09:02 PM -0400, you wrote:
>When I signed up for the RedHat mailing lists (my first real involvement
>on any list) I just used the 'Devon' Account. Once I realized that most
>people on the list used their real names, I was sort of between a rock
>and a hard place, and just decided to keep using Devon.

I do like to keep my "public" email in separate email addresses, so I know
what you mean. My personal account, the one I try to keep off mailing lists
or postings or other harvestable places, gets less than a dozen email
messages a day but my mailing list address gets over 300 messages.
(Luckily, about 1% spam so far.)

>However, I've decided that the only way to fix it is to make the switch,
>and take my lumps. The real name seems more professional at the very
>least. Besides, I wouldn't install software or run scripts written by
>someone who wouldn't divulge his real name. :)

I see your point. Never seemed strange to me since I really did think Devon
*was* your real name. <grin>

>I switched all the RedHat lists over to my real name as well. So far,
>either no one has noticed, or no one has cared enough to comment. :)

Since email addresses are not often displayed (I just see the real name
from the "From"), most people will initially think that Devon has quit
posting and that some new guy Michael has joined in. You may actually want
to post a three-liner letting everyone know... I might not have noted for
months if it weren't for smaller communities like this one where we're both
involved.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at indahaus.com