[Rule-list] Introduction

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Apr 18 02:43:32 EEST 2002

Geoff Burling wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Martin Stricker wrote:

> I suspect the CDROM drive because occasionally when slinky (both 0.1.5
> & 0.1.9a) unpacked the rpms, occasionally I would see on the console
> screen a report of a MD5 sum mismatch. I also saw reports of a few
> other kinds of errors (e.g., one was a cpio read error.) Later, I
> could unpack the rpm package without any problems -- & the packages
> slinky had varied between the two versions.

It might be the CD-ROM drive. Did you try a lens cleaner?
But then it might be something else: Did you check the connectors of the
cables? Sometimes it helps to pull them out, brush them and put them
back in. Also, if the cables have been curled up or bent they might be
damaged. I once thought I had a bad harddisk, but a new cable fixed
it...

> Lastly, it appears that RH by default starts up the slocate daemon, as
> well as uses ext3 with the journaling mechanism turned on. Which IMHO
> is not only overkill, but caused my poor, elderly 486 to hit a load
> average over 2.50 for the first 30 minutes after the reboot! And when
> I performed a kill -1 on the two processes behind these features, I
> lost some files I had copied over to /tmp. (Well, I assume running
> kill -1 on slocate & the journaling processes had caused the files to
> disappear. The alternative is the HD is about to crash.)

Killing slocate shouldn't damage the filesystem, but killing the
journaling process is a Bad Idea (TM)!

> Bringing the system back up as I write this failed to recreate the
> 2.50+ load average. Now I know I didn't imagine this . . . (but it's
> not the first time I've experienced unreproduceable results.)

Did both processes run again?

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi