[Rule-list] swapon /swap

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Apr 18 02:43:54 EEST 2002

Eugene Wong wrote:

> After trying to install RH6.2 on my 386 with only 8MB of RAM. I
> learned from the help of others that it seems the second stage RAM
> disk is too big for my computer's setup. Perhaps the swap partitions
> weren't mounted yet, or perhaps they were mounted, but swap + RAM is
> too small for the RAM disk.

Both RULE installers, miniconda and slinky, work for RHL7.2 only
currently. Since you only have 8 MB of RAM, your only choice is slinky.
Try slinky 0.2.0, it's the first version with floating-point emulation
enabled, and I believe the i386 doesn't have a math coprocessor.

> What would you guys think of creating swap files during installation
> and then removing them after completion? I hope that this hasn't been
> discussed yet, because I don't want to waste your time.

Use a swap partition. It's faster, and it can be used for swap with no
changes in the installed system. Slinky will guide you through the
necessary steps (it *requires* a swap partition). Make it at least 32
MB.

I'm *really* interested how a slinky install performs on you system (how
long do the individual steps take?) since it's the very first i386 I
hear of trying to get RULE installed.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi