[Rule-list] Introduction

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 18 21:58:08 EEST 2002

> After I completed the slinky-0.1.9a install, I attempted to install
> XFree in order to build a AfterStep rpm on a RULE system. In doing so, I
> learned that X is a *very* large application, & expects a number of
> packages that are not always obviously related, viz.:
>
> perl
> freetype-2.0.3-7
> XFree86-libs-4.1.0-3
> XFree86-xfs-4.1.0-3
> Mesa-3.4.2-7
>
> Looking at the source code for XFree86-4.1.0, I see that there are about
> 15 perl scripts -- associated with xterm, items in the extra directory,
> or used with fonts -- so the dependency on perl has some justification.
>
> However, what I have trouble understanding why Mesa needs to be included
> in XFree. I don't use 3D effects in my window manager on a daily basis.
> It appears to be one of these k-rad kewl effects that someone insists on
> adding to a software project, which ends up getting so entangled with
> the rest of the code that all of the users end up being forced to
> upgrade their hardware . . . even if they aren't going to use this new
> feature.
>
> In short, it's the kind of feature bloat I feel RULE should be fighting,
> if I understand the charter of the group.
>
> </rant>

More rant----------;-)

You've hit the proberbial nail on the head there Geoff;  and the *fun* is
just beginning.

Not only are we going to be dealing with a lot of bloatware....but worse
yet that same *bloatware* won't support a lot of the older vid cards that
RULE is supposed to be destined for.   For example the older Tridents, S3
and the like...seems the only one that is well supported in X4.2 is
ATI....so here we have an impasse...I tried installing another mini with
Xfree 3.3.6..........you think it would lite up my Radeon???....I
wish!!!!!

Geeeeeeeeeez ran into da wall again....I really want to see RULE
fly....but I think the runway is gonna be rocky.....;-)

I wish I had some answers or better suggestions...but at present they
don't exist; not from here anyway...

My knowledge of rpm is very limited...but can't we install the X related
rpms with --nodeps???

That could get rid of a lot of the unwanted and uneeded cruft....

Later...watching and learning...G