[Rule-list] swapon /swap

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Apr 19 02:23:06 EEST 2002

Eugene Wong wrote:

> I think that I made a mistake in explaining myself. If I made a swap
> partition of 32 MB, wouldn't it be good to make use of the unused
> space on the root partition, by having a script create swap files? 32
> MB + swap file space might help the installation along. Or do I
> misunderstand?

I would guess it wouldn't be of much help, but you can only find out by
doing two installs, one with and one without the swap file and see which
runs faster and more reliable.

> I'll keep you guys posted. My aim would be to surf the Internet with
> Netscape 4.7* and have a word processor. I'll probably end up using
> emacs or something. Bear in mind, however, that I'll be installing
> through ftp, which *really* *really* slows things down.

Umm, I doubt Netscape 4.7* will run in anything less that 32 MB of RAM.
And you'll need X installed which is not yet part of RULE, you'll have
to wait a bit more. Even if you get Netscape running I would recommend
to use something smaller like Opera.

Emacs should be installed with RULE (I'm not sure, in any case you can
install it easily).

Best egards,
Martin Stricker
Science Fiction Club Deutschland e. V.: http://www.sfcd-online.de/