[Rule-list] Xfree for RULE roadmap

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Apr 19 17:03:53 EEST 2002

Martin wrote:>

> It would install, but would it work? --nodeps and --force are
> *dangerous*, you should use them only if you know *exactly* what you
> are doing.

I agree with Martin: messing with --nodeps and --force should be avoided
as much as possible, also because it could break other rpms installed
later.

> I think we'll have to provide our own RULE X solution on the long
> term.
> But that will take a lot of work and time...

I was thinking the same thing myself, but maybe is not so bad (not
high priority anyway). The solution in many cases could be something
like:

1)	Video card supported by Red Hat stock X, enough HW resources?

		install standard X rpms

2)	Old video card *not* supported anymore?

		install older X version supporting it, rpm repackaged/
		recompiled if needed, but not hacked

3) 	Other cases

		a) Ouch!
		b) Call to the rescue XFree developers
		c) time will tell

Let's try option 2 when possible, and see what happens.

		RULE project leader