[Rule-list] test reports and benchmarks

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Apr 26 01:10:58 EEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 17:08:04 at 05:08:04PM -0500, hairylarry at deltaboogie.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's my idea. We make a test program that benchmarks rule
> installs. For instance after a successful slinky install I could run this

Will read it again tomorrow after sleep, but the test program idea is
definitely something to do, and I agree with everything you said

> Then there would have to be an easy procedure for importing this into
> a test database. Maybe emailing it to testresults at rule-project.org.

Probably importing everything into a web form is easier if you want
automatic insertion in some database. We have to think more about
security implications, of course.

> The first step, of course, would to be to look at existing linux
> benchmark programs. Anyone have any suggestions?

For existing benchmarks now. I have the feeling that most existing benchmarks
for Linux are heavy stuff for powerful servers, which may even be not
executable on a low end PC, but it's just a feeling. Please correct me
if I'm wrong.

OTOH, it's probably easy to put together some custom RULE benchmark
for *desktop* use of an old computer, something like:

	start emacs/vi on some text file
	start mutt on a test mailbox (some already exist)
	run a find command over the whole disk
	start lynx/w3m on a test html page
	feed some heavy calculation to bc
	run perl script containing nasty regex with much backtraking

Probably something like this also exists, but I can't find it right
now. Pointers?

		RULE project leader

--
"If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the
computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million