[Rule-list] ssh, was:nfs daemon problem

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sun Apr 28 21:11:02 EEST 2002

Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Friday 26 April 2002 08:19 am, Marco Fioretti wrote:
>
> > Actually, I seem to remember that during the first two/three weeks
> > of the project we came to the conclusion that ssh should be part of
> > the base install, but maybe I'm wrong..
>
> ssh _clients_ are installed as part of the network packages. It could
> be moved to base packages, I suppose. I just don't see the need for
> ssh on a machine that has no network connection. :)
>
> The ssh package selection adds the ssh server.

The base install should not contain any networking software. Even though
they would be usable through the loopback interface they don't make any
sense. The network option should install the most common network user
agents like a ssh-client, ftp-client, telnet-client, http-client
(browser) and e-mail client. The network servers should be installable
in separate options, like this is currently true for ssh-server. The
telnet-server and ftp-server options should be marked clearly as
"insecure, install ssh-server instead!".

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/rule/