[Rule-list] getting network up with slinky 0.2.1

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr
Fri May 3 11:21:38 EEST 2002

Hello All

I am struggling with this problem, also.

On Friday 03 May 2002 8:39 am, Michael wrote:
> On Friday 03 May 2002 01:01 am, Eugene Wong wrote:
> > I think that I'm beginning to get confused. Allow me to confirm for
> > you, the correct error messages.
> >
> > The error message from insmod is:
> >
> > # insmod mnt/floppy/modules/ne.o
> > Using mnt/floppy/modules/ne.o
> > insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> One last try before I call it a night.
>
> Does the ne.o driver need the 8390.o driver loaded first? I believe it
> may.
>
> Also, do you need to specify parameters for your card?

The attempt is to install slinky 0.2.1 using the rh cd over a lan. The
computer is one I have not yet registered with Benoit, a 586 (pentium 1 at
133 MHz) and a RealTek RTL 8029 nic.

As it also has a cd rom drive previous local installs showed insmod 8390.o
and then insmod ne2k-pci.o. It seems Michael is right on the money, again!
Also, the nic shows as eth0: RealTek RTL-8029 at 0x6000, IRQ 10,
00:40:C7:2E:3B:1A

Using these parameters as an example would it be correct to sumarise as
follows?

After first booting with Slinky disk1 and waiting until it stops with the
prompt #	type insmod (full path to module)/8390.o (without parameters)
		type insmod (full path to module)/ne2k-pci.o 10,0x6000,00:40:...
		type ifconfig eth0 192.168.whatever the local host is to be
		type scripts/setup.sh

Please correct the errors or omissions. Is the preference for ftp over nfs
because it means a lower overhead on the poor host lacking memory, etc.?
nfs would seem more elegant?

Richard