[Rule-list] Slinky 0.2.2 [was Re: getting network up with slinky 0.2.1]

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 23:57:24 EEST 2002

>From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net>

>On Friday 03 May 2002 07:54 am, Michael Fratoni wrote:
>
> > My fault.
> > When I added math emulation to the kernel, I used the wrong config
> > file, and mistakenly removed loadable module support.
<snip>

Ah ha! What did I tell you?? What did *I* tell you? ;^) Just because I'm
inexperienced doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. ;^)

> > My apologies for the inconvenience.

No need for apologies and no big inconvenience. Thanks for doing this work
for us. I *really* appreciate it.

>I didn't really feel much like working today..... ;)

Bad for you! Good for us! ;^)

>New images posted. The module error should be solved. It works here, at
>any rate.

Yep. I tried loading the modules, and they worked flawlessly. It would be
great if we can get some scripts that people could download from your
server, and copy onto the install disk. I'll try to write up one for loading
up the ne.o driver if you'd like.

Unfortunately, I still can't connect to the Internet. This time the problem
seems to be finding the gateway. I'm sure that everything that I need is
there on the disk, but I don't know how to do it. I'm too used to dhcp. What
files do I have to configure? What do I type? ifconfig shows lo and eth0 as
running just fine. I can ping myself and others on the LAN.

<snip>
>I also included some of what I think are the most basic network
>modules on disk2.
<snip>
>If anyone has any "must have" modules, let me know, and I'll see what
>else I can squeeze onto disk2.

The included modules worked out perfectly for me.

>Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Need for it! :^)

A suggestion: for /etc/fstab I'd like to recommend that you insert the
following line:

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto defaults 0 0

I personally prefer to use:

/dev/fd0 /mnt/fd0 auto defaults 0 0

because it allows me to get in the habit of typing "fd0". It also works out
well for people who have more than one floppy. I only have one, but still.
The only people who won't like it, probably are people who are used to
"floppy" and/or newbies. I'm not going to press the issue though, because
it's only an install disk. I can always change it later on the installed
system.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong