[Rule-list] Slinky 0.2.2 [was Re: getting network up with slinky 0.2.1]

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Sat May 4 05:21:57 EEST 2002

>From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net>
<snip>
>I just tried this here, and it works fine. Here is what I did:
>
># mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
># insmod /mnt/floppy/modules/kernel/drivers/tulip/tulip.o
># ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.7 netmask 255.255.255.0
>(ifconfig should now show that the interface is up)

That all worked for me, but I used ne.o and added the correct
arguements/parameters. ifconfig did show everything as up and running.

># route add default gw 192.168.0.3

That didn't work for me. I had to do this:

#route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.255 dev eth0
#route add default gw 192.168.2.0

<snip>
>The installer tries to create /newroot/etc/mtab and /newroot/etc/fstab.
>neither is copied anywhere, so I'm not sure what the problem might be.
>If the file creation is failing, then there is a problem with mounting
>the partitions. I've no idea about /etc/passwd and /etc/network, neither
>is included in the scripts.

My mistake. They are /etc/sysconfig/network and /usr/bin/passwd. The error
messages are, "/etc/sysconfig/network: cannot create (No such file or
directory)", and "/usr/bin/passwd: not found'\n'here file /tmp/shtm325000:
cannot open (No such file or directory)'\n'syntax error". I hope that makes
sense.

>I'd _really_ like to see the log from this install.

There isn't one. /scripts only contains initial_reboot.sh and setup.sh.

>I'm guessing that you aren't connecting.
>
>As a note, you'd do well to use another server. Red Hat's server is
>usually pretty busy. Try to find a local mirror.

I tried on to find one, but I couldn't. I think they took down the mirror
page.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong