[Rule-list] 486 not 386

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun May 5 00:12:48 EEST 2002

On Saturday 04 May 2002 03:10 pm, Eugene Wong wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just want to point out that after looking at the install log, I
> realized that I am using a 486 cpu instead of a 386 cpu as I have
> thought. I hope that I didn't disappoint anybody.
>
> It turns out that I had a 386 in here before, but switched mother
> boards with another old computer, and then had forgotten about it. I'd
> be willing to try out the 386 but it would be useless to try, because
> we can't even get the 486 working.

Try booting the installer bootdisk, and bring up the network. Use route
to add the default gateway, and enter:
ping 216.148.218.197
Let's see if we can ping a host that I know should respond.

The installer is probably working, but your network connection isn't. The
installer can't install files it can't access. :)
If you are unable to ping an external address, then an install from an
external http or ftp server isn't going to work.

The log file you sent me ended at the point where you selected the ftp
install option. Did you end the install? Did the installer stop logging?
Unfortunately, there isn't enough output to tell me anything. If you
could try again, and (assuming it isn't working) kill the install script
at the point when it asks for disk2, the log will be in
/newroot/root/scripts. if you can get me a log containing the ftp options
used, it would be a great help.

Let me know how it goes, please?

I'll have new images later today for testing as well.

Changes include:
The resolver is now working, so host names will resolve for doing http
and ftp installs. The user will need to edit /etc/resolv.conf and insert
the address of a nameserver.

NFS is working, I'm currently adding the nfs option to the installer
scripts. So far, I've managed to load the modules, and mount an NFS
exported filesystem containing the rpm files. Since I've never used NFS
before today, that was the major part of the battle.

I also added code as Eugene suggested, to make sure the user is starting
the installer from the proper directory.

The latest official busybox and uClibc releases are included as well.

Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/