[Rule-list] 486 not 386

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun May 5 10:22:20 EEST 2002

On Sunday 05 May 2002 02:43 am, Eugene Wong wrote:
> This is getting a bit frustrating because I usually use a Dvorak
> keyboard layout, and the vi editor is very unintuitive. I'll need a lot
> of specific instructions to save me typing.

And I appreciate your patience. Are you refering to vi on the rule
machine? If so, try nano. It's easier to deal with.

> >and enter:
> >ping 216.148.218.197
> >Let's see if we can ping a host that I know should respond.

> Done, but it doesn't get a response. The error I get for anything
> except itself is, "No response from <whatever IP address>". I had to
> setup the loopback adapter for it to ping itself. Is this normal for
> everybody?

Hrmm, does 'ifconfig eth0' reveal anything useful?

> Also, the Rule computer couldn't even ping the computer sitting right
> next to it. I using this computer, connected to the Internet, as I
> type.

Right. The interface isn't up, or the cable is bad, or.... Could be a lot
of things.

> Yes, I am aware of that. Thank you. :-) Be careful with what you say
> about the installer, though. Even though I can't ping out, I still see
> the installer say,
>
> No response from <whatever IP address>
> Success!

That is odd, and I'm still looking into it. It appears the the busybox
version of ping isn't returning an exit code.

> I'm sure that we both know what it's talking about, but it does appear
> to be confusing to a newbie.

Ok, don't waste a lot of time on this. New versions available soon that
may help. I don't know that they will help your network problem
any, though.

Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/