[Rule-list] *Some* good news: can ping IP addresses on LAN

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at indahaus.com
Mon May 6 21:08:55 EEST 2002

At 5/6/2002 01:25 AM -0400, you wrote:
>You're using crossover cables with a hub? I didn't think that was
>possible. I could well be wrong, but i thought only switches could do
>that.

(Yes, I'm still alive.)

A non-issue actually. Standard Ethernet cables are for connecting computers
to normal ports on a hub or switch; crossover cables are for connecting two
computers directly or two hubs or switches directly. Uplink ports
(internally crossed) on hubs or switches were added as conveniences to the
user so that normal cables could be used everywhere.

The fact that all of this is so neat and convenient does not prevent you
from doing weird things, such as using a crossover cable to connect your
computer to the uplink port on a hub or switch. (This is usually imbecilic
since every uplink port I ever saw shares its internals with a normal port,
but you *could* be on a deserted island with only a crossover cable to use,
after all.)

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at indahaus.com