install_log suggestion [was Re: [Rule-list] 486 slinky: not all rpms installed]

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 20:57:58 EEST 2002

>From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net>
<snip>
>The log left as /root/install_log when the install is complete should
>have details about the rpm install process and what went wrong.
>You can view it from vt2 before rebooting, or after rebooting, as long as
>enough rpms installed to let the system boot.

I'll try and install again to get that install log. This time I'll say no to
all packages, because there should be enough of a sampling in the base
install to get the necessary info.

I was wondering if you would be willing to program the script to ask at the
end of the install, "Would you like to copy /root/install_log to the second
disk? [Y/n] ", or however is consistent with how you choose to do it?

Perhaps an alternative is to just mention it at the end, such as, "If there
were error messages, then you should examine /root/install_log for details
before reboot. Reboot now? [y/N]" or whatever.

Actually, an even better alternative is to just copy it to /root of the new
partition, if it can survive reboot, that is.

Unfortunately, this time I only realized that I had forgotten about
/root/install_log after I had rebooted.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong