[Rule-list] Slinky suggestion [2]

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu May 9 06:06:32 EEST 2002

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 08:51 pm, Eugene Wong wrote:

> Basically, I'm thinking of something along the lines of the script
> saying to me, "First, let's partition, and format. Next, how do you
> want to install? If it's cdrom, then let's insert the cd now and mount
> it now. If it's network oriented, then let's insert the second disk.
> ...mounting now...testing network...Okay, now what is the server's IP
> address, etc.". I'm just paraphrasing of course. Your phrasings are
> perfect. I'm just suggesting a different order for things.

The order of things can be changed. Right now, it is basically the result
of my looking at the script, and finding a place to [insert feature]. I
plan on revamping it to a degree, but I need more feedback from others
who've tested the scripts. Besides my own testing, I have feedback on the
installers from only a few people.

> I noticed that you asked for which packages in the second stage script.
> Would it be just as effective to ask for this information in the first
> stage? I think that it may be better to put it in between the disk
> partitioning and asking of the install method.

It is on the second disk to allow users to include custom package lists.
I don't want to move it to disk1 because disk1 is much harder to modify
for an end user. (the root filesystem on disk 1 is gzipped, for example)

> One possible advantage to this is that after formatting, hopefully the
> person could come back and complete the installation.

You can continue the install at any point, the installer will wait
quietly. :) I'm not sure what you mean here.

> Another advantage is that if somebody customizes a second stage disk,
> they have the things that they are going to definitely need on the
> first stage. The first stage could be common to all install methods.
> disk2 would then contain all of the different modules, customized
> scripts, etc.

Anything can be added to the second disk. You can even have a third disk
with special modules, scripts, or what have you. To modify disk 2, you
can do:
'mount disk2.img -o loop /mnt/point/'
Add, remove or modify anything you like, and continue.

> You know the details better than me, so I wouldn't push it too much.
> Perhaps with my idea, there would be a common disk1, but several
> variations of disk2 [plip.img, network.img, etc.].

Disk1 is already a common disk. It contains nothing more then the kernel
and files required to boot, setup.sh, initial_reboot.sh, and the root
file system.

Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/