[Rule-list] Slinky suggestion [2]

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Sun May 12 04:13:50 EEST 2002

>From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net>
>On Wednesday 08 May 2002 08:51 pm, Eugene Wong wrote:
<snip>
> > One possible advantage to this is that after formatting, hopefully the
> > person could come back and complete the installation.
>
>You can continue the install at any point, the installer will wait
>quietly. :) I'm not sure what you mean here.
<snip>

What I mean here is that I'd like to be able to stop the setup script and
installation process, and not have to repeat stuff when I start again. For
instance, my harddrive has been formatted several times. There is no need to
do it again.

However, after thinking more about it, you might not need to do what I
suggested, because it may be wise to create a 3rd installation disk that is
very manual. In other words, there could be one general setup script, but if
the user wanted to, he could avoid the script and do one part of the
installation at a time.

He could do the formating now, and do the rpm stuff later. I would probably
do the rpming the way that you do it, but with the added feature of keeping
track of what doesn't get installed. This way, he can boot up again, and
keep running the rpm part of the setup procedure until he finishes
everything. He wouldn't need to get everything from the same server or do it
again. He could get as much from one server, then try from another.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong