[Rule-list] Two minor "bugs" in Slinky 0.2.3, and a kernel issue

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat May 18 08:48:35 EEST 2002

Hi Michael!

Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Thursday 16 May 2002 08:56 pm, Martin Stricker wrote:
> > When I have to select the harddrive to partition, the message that
> > /dev/hda is selected is printed twice: once without and once with
> > /dev/hda mentioned.
>
> Is this a machine with a single drive? Just checking so I can try to
> reproduce this.

/dev/hda is a 60 GB drive, /dev/hdc is the CD-ROM drive, both slave
ports are empty.

> > When I try to mount /dev/hda1 on /boot the output is
> > Mounting /dev/hda1 on '/newroot//boot'.
> > I didn't check if the mount succeded
>
> That is correct. The install mounts everything on /newroot/
> The additional / isn't a problem, so slinky prepends /newroot/ to the
> mount point, allowing the user to say 'boot' or '/boot' without
> causing mount to fail.

I see. However, it might be nice to remove the double slash, just so no
one wonders...

> > Now for the kernel issue I promised:
> > (snipping away my blabber about segfaults while accessing the CD)
>
> Do you have an idea as to what the problem might be? Have to tried any
> boot parameters, to see if it helps?

Not yet, I had only time for a quick shot. I'll try  'linux nodma' ASAP.
Any other parameter suggestions?

> > Now I'm waiting desperately for the first
> > Slinky version based on the valhalls boot kernel to verify this
> > issue on the new version before bugzilla'ing. And it would be even
> > more instesting trying a Slinky with a vanilla kernel... Michael, is
> > there any chance you can make such a boot image until Tuesday?
>
> I can create a new slinky boot image tomorrow evening, is that soon
> enough?

Plenty soon enough, thank you! Background: Whit Monday is public holiday
in Germany, and I'll leave tomorrow morning for my parents', I'll be
back Tuesday morning, and f course I won't take the server with me...

> > Or, even better, tell me how to do it myself (would be a *great*
> > addition to the RULE documentation!)?
>
> Sure, I can try.
> If this isn't clear, or you have questions, let me know. ;)
(snip)
> Have fun!

Sounds good so far. I'll try to look into this ASAP and wll create a
documentation for this, too.

Thank you very much, Michael!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker