[Rule-list] Re: no ppp support in install kernel?

Raymundo Baquirin rayb at apc.edu.ph
Sat May 18 19:53:33 EEST 2002

Hi, Michael,

On Friday 10 May 2002 00:00, you wrote:

> Grab the slip.o and slhc.o modules from
> http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net/rule/slinky/MODULES/kernel/drivers/net/
> Put them on a floppy (disk2 should be fine) and load them before using
> slattach. (slhc should be loaded first)
> I just got it working here using the slinky disks.

I'm finally reunited with the serial cable and tried the setup with slattach
again.  But no joy.  I can't ping either machine from the other.

What I did:
  On my desktop machine:
    slattach -p slip -s 19200 /dev/ttyS1 &
    ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.1 pointopoint 192.168.1.2 up
    route add -host 192.168.1.2 sl0

  On the laptop:
    mkdir /mnt/win				#make mount point
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win	#mount win partition
    cd /mnt/win/rule/slinky/2.3		#where needed files are
    insmod slhc.o                                      # load kernel module
    insmod slip.o                                        #    -do-
    cd /dev
    mknod -m 666 ttyS0 c 4 64		# make device for 1st serial port
    cd /mnt/win/rule/slinky/2.3		#where slattach is
    ./slattach -p slip -s 19200 /dev/ttyS0 &
    ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.2 pointopoint 192.168.1.1 up
    route add -host 192.168.1.1 sl0
    route add default sl0

I did notice in the slinky boot messages that the serial ports are called
ttyS00 and ttyS01.  I tried making a ttyS00 device instead of ttyS0 but still
got no ping.