[Rule-list] Re: no ppp support in install kernel?

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun May 19 07:25:09 EEST 2002

On Saturday 18 May 2002 12:53 pm, Raymundo Baquirin wrote:

Hi Raymundo,

> I'm finally reunited with the serial cable and tried the setup with
> slattach again.  But no joy.  I can't ping either machine from the
> other.

I decided to try along with you. I grabbed an old abandoned laptop from
work (Zeos 486, 8M of RAM, 80M hard drive, external floppy), and made a
null modem cable.

> What I did:
>   On my desktop machine:
>     slattach -p slip -s 19200 /dev/ttyS1 &
>     ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.1 pointopoint 192.168.1.2 up
>     route add -host 192.168.1.2 sl0

I did about the same, but route add shouldn't be required.
The trick it turns out to have both machines connected, and running before
you bring up the interface on either.

>   On the laptop:
>     insmod slhc.o                                      # load kernel
>     ./slattach -p slip -s 19200 /dev/ttyS0 &
>     ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.2 pointopoint 192.168.1.1 up

Snipped down to the commands I had to use. The only thing I found that
needed to be changed is the ipconfig syntax. Busybox uses an older
ifconfig, it seems.

The command on the laptop needs to be:
 ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.2 dstaddr 192.168.1.1

> I did notice in the slinky boot messages that the serial ports are
> called ttyS00 and ttyS01.  I tried making a ttyS00 device instead of
> ttyS0 but still got no ping.

I see the same thing in the logs on both machines. ttyS0 works for me,
though.

Now, more detail. I got it working, and managed to nfs mount the rpms.
However, it timed out everytime. Regardless of various nfs options, it
times out just trying to get a directory listing of
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS. I can get as far as listing /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/,
but even that is slow.
After a lot of wasted time, I gave up.

Then, I decided to try an HTTP install. Due to disk space problems on the
laptop, I only allowed the installer to run through the copying of disk2,
and doing the pivot root. Then I killed the installer, and ran the rpm
commands manually so I could select only a bare minimum of packages.
It's installing slowly now. The downloading of glibc-common has taken over
a half hour so far, and it's just half done. I believe I've done 5 or 6
packages so far. :)

I'll let the install continue, but having seen the results, this isn't an
install method I plan on supporting in any fashion. :) The slip network
link is just too slow. If I rebuild the kernel and include cslip support,
it might help, though I'm not sure of even that.

Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/