[Rule-list] Re: no ppp support in install kernel?

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr
Sun May 19 09:36:21 EEST 2002

Hello All

Michael wrote

> I decided to try along with you. I grabbed an old abandoned laptop from
> work (Zeos 486, 8M of RAM, 80M hard drive, external floppy), and made a
> null modem cable.

Assuming the 80MB is too little, would this not be a candidate for becoming
a "thin" client?
I ask because of having several 386's with 80MB disks.

> Now, more detail. I got it working, and managed to nfs mount the rpms.
> However, it timed out everytime. Regardless of various nfs options, it
> times out just trying to get a directory listing of
> /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS. I can get as far as listing /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/,
> but even that is slow.
> After a lot of wasted time, I gave up.

Some years ago, playing with serial to serial connections, using
intersvr.exe and interlnk.exe under dos, the machines were left all night to
transfer the pkunzip command to leave an entire partition (or disk) ready to
run win95 or 98 or even 2000! depending on the hardware. The trick was to
install on some computer similar enough, but yet having more memory and/or
more disk space.

Too bad nfs doesn't put up with an all night session. Had hoped it was more
tolerant.

Richard