[Rule-list] Re: The init sequence, and why fetch mail and shutdown.

chris clark clarkcd at myrealbox.com
Wed May 29 03:13:02 EEST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
To: rule-list at mail.freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 05:24:29 +0200
Subject: [Rule-list] The init sequence

----- Forwarded message from chris clark <clarkcd at myrealbox.com> -----

>The biggest slowdowns in boot times seem to be XFS (font server), kudzu, and the depmod -a .

I agree. Kudzu and depmod -a should be removed altogether from init
sequence: how often does one adds hardware?
Seldom, but these things might be reasonable to
have as the default (hands off) in lilo.
That way, if a hardware change screws up keyboard or
mouse, a reboot will do the right thing.
It should be possible to have a fast boot as well as
a thorough one.

Have you read the init
sequence page on the web site?
I poked around a bit, downloaded the archive, and am
trying to get up to speed. I read the page on init, but
I'm a bit concerned that many users won't know how
to do depmod or kudzu unless it's very clear, and
in any event, I think lilo options might be the
slickest way to do things.

>One could even have options for specific tasks like "boot in console
>mode,start a ppp session,
>run fetchmail to grab my new mail, and then halt."
Yes, but why grab mail and not read it immediately? Could you
elaborate a bit on this?

This thought was prompted by the memory of a VERY smug
AOLer I met in a campground. He had asked to use the
phone line in the campground office to check his mail,
promising to tie up the line for only a short while.
He was very proud of being able to dial in and grab
all of his mail for later reading back at his campsite.

A more common scenario might be getting up, booting my
laptop with the "get mail" option, and getting ready
for work while it downloads my mail and shuts down.
(shutdowns on a 486-25 aren't instant, althought the
fewer processes started, the fewer need to be stopped.)
This way I could just power it off as I head out the door, and read mail later in the day. Ideally, I could
compose replies as well, to be sent the next time I
connect.

Just brainstorming here, not demanding features :)