[Rule-list] Installing RPM without docs

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Tue Jun 4 00:15:43 EEST 2002

Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 11:13 pm, Marco Fioretti wrote:
>
> > > For the slinky installer, easily done. (And I like the idea.)
> > > It would only require the addition of a few lines to the scripts.

> > OK. We have also to keep in mind that this should coexist with the
> > post install script we are planning to run, to remove unneeded files
> > (which only *sometimes* are docs). Those scripts should not abort or
> > complain trying to remove dirs/files never installed, and *not*
> > remove docs (without asking) if the user said "keep them".
>
> Easily handled, I believe. For slinky, we just ask the question, store
> the answer, and export it. The post install script can check the value
> of the exported variable, and determine what it should or should not
> remove.

Sounds good. One maybe quite stupid addition: I don't know what RPM
throws out as docs when told so. If it even trashes the man and info
pages there should be three options:
What do you want to to about software documentation? [default
"recommended"]
1) Remove it completely. Warning: There won't even man pages be left!
2) Recommended usage: Keep only man and info pages.
3) Keep all the documentation.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi